Why am I receiving an email from Securly?
Your child’s school is partnering with Securly to provide an online student safety solution, and parents’ email addresses are registered by the school.
- Weekly activity emails provide snapshots of your child’s Internet use while on a school-owned or issued device.
- The emails you receive can help start conversations around various topics, including education, online safety, and peer pressure.
The school registered my email address, but I still haven’t received an email from Securly. What happened?
- Allow 24 hours from the estimated arrival date before determining whether an email has gone missing.
- Be sure to check your Spam/Junk folder for an email from Securly.com
- If you’ve waited 24 hours and checked your spam folder, contact our support team.
How do I set up my Parent Portal account?
- Parents cannot register their own email with Securly. Your child’s school must register your email.
- The school will give you an estimate of when you will receive your first email from Securly.
- The email from Securly will read “Your Child ______’s Activity Report” in the subject line. Once open, either click on “go to my parent portal” or “sign up for Securly, it’s free.” Then, complete the checkboxes to be directed to the portal.
Why did the “Your child _______’s activity report” email I receive say “Not enough data”?
Not to worry. This means the minimum amount of activity required to generate an email report for that particular week hasn’t been reached. To see if there has been activity on the device, just access the Parent Portal by clicking the blue button at the bottom of the email.
In the Parent Portal, why can’t I see any activity?
Your school may have elected to show at-home activity only. If this is the case, your weekly report and activity feed will remain empty unless your child uses their school-issued (1:1) device off-campus.
What is in the “Flagged” section?
- If your child’s school allows access to Facebook, Twitter, and G+ on a school-issued Chromebook, posts are scanned by Securly for indications of bullying or self-harm/suicide. (Posts only, no comments/images). If a post contains an indication of bullying or self-harm/suicide, it is flagged by Securly.
- Flagged Sites: If a student accesses a site related to self-harm, it is a cause for concern and we flag it.
- Flagged Searches: If a student’s search terms on Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube, or Wiki are indicative of self-harm/violence, we flag the search.
- If you are using the SecurlyHome app, you will see these activities under the Flagged by School tab.
How do I add a new email address to my parent account?
For safety reasons, only your child’s school is authorized to register emails, so contact them to request any changes.
Who else sees the information contained in the Portal and the weekly email?
- The network administrator at the school has access to all records.
- School staff members can be delegated access to pull records, if necessary.
- The school will provide you with a list of which parents or guardians have access if verification is needed.
What data does Securly collect?
Securly monitors your child’s online activity while at school, and off-campus if the child is using a school-issued device that is filtered by Securly.
Securly collects the school-issued email address, public IP address (available to anyone on the Internet), visited websites, searched terms, YouTube videos, and social media posts (if social media is allowed by the school).
Where can I ask a question that is not answered in this FAQ?
Contact Support through our support channel.