Why am I receiving an email from Securly?
- Your child’s school is partnering with Securly to provide an online student safety solution, and parents’ email addresses are registered by the school.
- Weekly activity emails provide snapshots of your child’s Internet use while on a school-owned or issued device.
- The emails you receive can help start conversations around various topics, including education, online safety, and peer pressure.
The school registered my email address, but I still haven’t received an email from Securly. What happened?
- Allow 24 hours from the estimated arrival date before determining whether an email has gone missing.
- Be sure to check your Spam/Junk folder for an email from Securly.com
- If you’ve waited 24 hours and checked your spam folder, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get to the bottom of it.
Why did the “Your child _______’s activity report” email I receive say “Not enough data”?
Not to worry. This means the minimum amount of activity required to generate an email report for that particular week hasn’t been reached. To see if there has been activity on the device, just access the Parent Portal by clicking the blue button at the bottom of the email.
How do I setup my Parent Portal account?
- Parents cannot register their own email with Securly. Your child’s school must register your email.
- The school will give you an estimate of when you will receive your first email from Securly.
- The email from Securly will read “Your Child ______’s Activity Report” in the subject line. Once open, either click on “go to my parent portal” or “sign up for Securly, it’s free.” Then, complete the checkboxes to be directed to the portal.
In the Parent Portal, why can’t I see any activity?
Your school may have elected to show at-home activity only. If this is the case, your weekly report and activity feed will remain empty unless your child uses their school-issued (1:1) device off-campus.
What is in the “Flagged” section?
- If your child’s school allows access to Facebook, Twitter, and G+ on a school-issued Chromebook, posts are scanned by Securly for indications of bullying or self-harm/suicide. (Posts only, no comments/images). If a post contains an indication of bullying or self-harm/suicide, it is flagged by Securly.
- Flagged Sites: If a student accesses a site related to self-harm, it is a cause for concern and we flag it.
- Flagged Searches: If a student’s search terms on Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube, or Wiki are indicative of self-harm/violence, we flag the search.
What do I do if I see activity that is cause for concern?
- Every alert is unique and should be addressed accordingly. For life-threatening emergencies, always call 9-1-1.
- If you need support or resources for a particular topic, we have compiled a list of links below.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1 (800) 273 8255
- "Talking To Your Kids About Suicide"
- Responding to Students At Risk
- Preventing Youth Suicide: Tips for Parents and Educators
- What is Self Harm?
- Self Harm: Distraction Techniques and Alternate Coping Strategies
- Responding to a Students’ Depression
- How to Help Your Depressed Teenager
- How Teachers Can Help Students with Mental Health Struggles
- Manage Depression and Take Care of Yourself
- What To Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied
- What To Do When Your Child Cyberbullies Others
- STOM POUT Bullying Helpchat Line
- Why Do Kids Bully
- Eating Disorders
- Warning Signs and Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- ANAD Eating Disorder Helpline
- Helping Someone with an Eating Disorder
I have multiple kids. How do I determine which item in the Activity tab belongs to which child?
- The child's email address is listed beside each item in the activity feed and is in chronological order.
- To view activity one child at a time, simply click on the drop-down menu that says “All Activities” and selects the child you want to view or type their email address into the search bar at the top and hit enter.
How can I add an email address to my child’s account?
- For safety reasons, only your child’s school is authorized to register emails, so contact them to request any changes.
Who else sees the information contained in the Portal and the weekly email?
- The network administrator at the school has access to all records.
- School staff members can be delegated access to pull records, if necessary.
- The school will provide you with a list of which parents or guardians have access if verification is needed.
What data does Securly collect?
- Securly monitors your child’s online activity while at school, and off-campus if the child is using a school-issued device that is filtered by Securly.
- Securly collects the school-issued email address, public IP address (available to anyone on the Internet), visited websites, searched terms, YouTube videos, and social media posts (if social media is allowed by the school).
Where can I ask a question that is not answered in this FAQ?
- Email email@example.com and one of our Parent Support Agents will assist.